The ‘Resume or Resign’ protesters almost engaged in a physical battle with some Pro-Buhari protesters at the Unity Fountain in Abuja on Friday.
If not for the intervention of Security operatives in the Venue, a full-scale clash would have occurred between the two protesting parties.
The anti-Buhari groups under the aegis, “Resume or Resign” and ‘’OurMumuDonDo” led by the convener, Deji Adeyanju, and one of its leaders, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy respectively have been staging their protest since Monday, August 7 to ask that the President either resumes work or resigns and that he should also make public the cause of his illness.
In a statement released by the “Resume or Resign” group on Friday, it alleges that the Federal government hired thugs to destabilize their protest. The statement signed by Charlyboy and Deji Adeyanju read;
Southern Kaduna : Defend yourselves against Buhari agents – Dokubo
1. This morning a group of people attempted to attack participants of our peaceful #ResumeOrResign sit out as we were concluding activities for the day. The attempted attack was totally unprovoked and was carried out with the intention of intimidating participants of our procession into discontinuing participation. It took the intervention of security agencies on ground to stop them.
2. This attack came shortly after we had been informed by officers that policemen would be unavailable to prevent a breakdown of law & order on Saturday, August 12, 2017, because of other engagements.
3. We are reliably informed that these thugs are sponsored by the Federal Government and members of the cabal that seek to prevent us from asking for full disclosure of the health status of President Muhammadu Buhari.
4. We are also reliably informed that the intention behind this attack and the plan to withdrawal the police from Unity Fountain is to leave our group open to attacks. These further attacks will then be used as a foundation to issue a blanket ban on peaceful gatherings such as ours under the guise of preventing further breakdown of law and order.
5. We see through the antics of aides to the President, the cabal and the security agencies all playing the same script. It is for this reason that it is imperative to raise this alarm.
Our group remains committed to a peaceful achievement of our target of demanding for full disclosure about the illness of President Buhari.
We also state that we will not be provoked into resorting to violence or any such activities that will violate our core principles and ethics.